Wednesday, June 23, 2010

 


The Army immediately began to issue the XM16E1 (re-named M16A1 on its adoption) to infantry units but the rifle was initially delivered without adequate cleaning supplies or instructions. When the M16 reached Vietnam with U.S. troops in March 1965, reports of jamming and malfunctions in combat began to surface. Although the M14 featured a chrome-lined barrel and chamber to resist corrosion in combat conditions, neither the bore nor the chamber of the M16/XM16E1 was chrome-lined. Several documented accounts of troops killed by enemy fire with jammed rifles broken-down for cleaning eventually brought a Congressional investigation.[27]

� We left with 72 men in our platoon and came back with 19, Believe it or not, you know what killed most of us? Our own rifle. Practically every one of our dead was found with his [M16] torn down next to him where he had been trying to fix it.

- Marine Corps Rifleman, Vietnam.[27] �


-

Mauser Bleg
We get letters. A reader: I’ve been interested in buying a WWII era rifle, and having shot a Mauser, I’m interested in getting one, thought mainly because the one’s I see are cheaper than a Garand. My biggest exposure to such is through the ad for Mitchell’s Mausers in the assorted NRA mags. Would you be [...]

We get letters.

A reader:

I’ve been interested in buying a WWII era rifle, and having shot a Mauser, I’m interested in getting one, thought mainly because the one’s I see are cheaper than a Garand.

My biggest exposure to such is through the ad for Mitchell’s Mausers in the assorted NRA mags.

Would you be kind enough to point me to an authority on Mausers and whether Mitchell’s offerings are a fair deal? http://www.mauser.net/

If this isn’t too much trouble, I appreciate it. If it is, please let me know. Thanks.



SKS Handguard : Parts4SKS
SKS Handguard. Matches the custom stocks and many others. 33% glass filled nylon, black.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?