Wednesday, January 11, 2012

 


Never had one with my SKS Rifle Stocks or my ar's with no springs.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson"
User Info
IM User
Email User
Reply
Quote
Report
scatterbrains


Joined:


-

I'm saying that is the way it is done in the military. Match and specialized sniper/long range ammunition is far from underloaded. There are specialized gas plug screws made fro the M14 Scope Mounts type rifle that allow a wide variety of ammunition to be utilized so there is no drawback to choosing one over an AR10 type platform for civilian use and again, a properly manufactured and heat treated modern M14 Scope Mounts type receiver is no less reliable than a modern manufactured AR10 two piece receiver system. Price wise, there is no advantage of one rifle over the other as comparable rifles of both systems are priced comparably once a scope mounting system is added to the M14 Scope Mounts type rifle and optics with rings are added to both. I will concede in the civilian arena, the AR10 allows the owner to more readily change barrels with less trouble than changing the barrel on an M14 Scope Mounts type rifle but doing so on a regular basis will place undue wear and strain on the AR10 upper receiver so this trait really only provides the individual builder the option of creating a specialized rifle built to his specifications and doing most or all of the work him/herself.. There are plenty of very good M14 Scope Mounts gunsmiths working in the civilian sector and they will do barrel changes at reasonable rates if it is determined to be necessary. Once the barrel is installed on the receiver, ALL of the rest of the work necessary to build a rifle can be accomplished on the M14 Scope Mounts type rifle just as easily as the AR10 type rifle by the individual builder so very little advantage goes to the AR10 verses the M14 Scope Mounts in this aspect. I have a M14 Scope Mounts-EBR myself so I am not hating on the system. Just pointing out how the AR-10 is cheap and easy to work on. If it is easy for me, then it will be easy for the Army. One thing I learned is availability of USGI M14 Scope Mounts parts are rare. I can't even pick up a M14 Scope Mounts USGI bolt anymore at a decent price. $250 for a stripped USGI Bolt seems to be the going rate now (and another $75 to lap and headspace). Again, if it is rare for me, it's probably rare for the Military too. Supply has to be running about dry by now even with all those parts we had in stock. A complete ready to do AR-10 bolt is only $115 and I don't have to pay anyone to install it. A cheap non-usgi M1A is now about $2200 with a Sage stock and no scope mount. A Forged AR-10 with Chrome Line Barrel is $1500 with FF rails, CTR stock, and scope mount. I am no rocket scientist, but I can swap everything on my AR10 myself. I am not a big fan of "I must take my car to the shop to change oil". To me swapping a bolt or barrel for my AR10 is free. For a M14 Scope Mounts it's $75 each time. Now SR-25's are dam expensive, and I have no idea why as it is really not that much different than an AR-10. Maybe the US Military will be wise like the Canadian Military and pick up AR-10's?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?